Back In NZ

After leaving Chicago on 5 April at 5pm (remember I got up at 7 am and NZ is one day and 7 hours ahead), I finally got on the United Airlines plane from Chicago to LA. I got into Economy Plus (by the way thanks you Jo Silva for your kind support here - what a great friend and hello, to Joe # 2) which is fantastic - talk about leg room and forget what they say about service on American airlines, I thought that United Airlines provided superb service. Got into LA around 7 pm (and there was the time difference between Chicago and LA) and scrambled to get to Terminal I at O'Hare to catch my flight on Air Pacific out to Nadi at 11.30 pm. At midnight I settled into my exit aisle seat and started the long leg through to Nadi and then onto Auckland. Arrived at Nadi at 5 am and transited until 10 am when I got on board FJ 411 for Auckland. The flight was delayed as someone decided after getting on board that he or she wanted to disembark so it meant that his or her bags had to be found and taken off. Finally left at 11 am but that was not the end of the drama. An hour into the flight, an annoucement came over the PA for a doctor. Apparently, the guy seating a few chairs away from me was feeling sick. Turned out he had not slept for 6 days and was needing oxygen to keep him calm. When he did get hix oxygen, he got high and started walking around, refusing to seat down and was getting aggresive. When all else failed to convince him to seat down, the capatain turned on the seat belt sign on and announced there was turbulence so everyone had to be belted up) all the way to arriving into Auckland). Neat trick. Anyway we finally arrived and I managed to get out of the plane, customs and immigration and exited within 10 minutes - what a record and Auckland was gloriously sunny and humid/warm. This was 1.30pm Saturday 7 April.

It was good to be back but it was a great trip and I learned a lot, watched a huge number of films and made significant contacts.

I will do a recap of the CIDF in my next post. What I like to do in the interim is to thank the CIDF crew (Christopher, Ewa, Joanna, Anna, the volunteers (Raoul for a wonderful trip to Wilmette) and everyone else) for their hospitality, Rey for helping with the CBS segment, the wonderful people at Columbia College Nancy Tom and team), the various film-makers and broadcasters who have offered their friendship and support to me, my crew back at DOCNZ.

Finally, Air Pacific - an airline with a big smile and heart for their support of DOCNZ - your support helps DOCNZ further our mission - vinaka.

My Island in the Sky

I'm off to sleepyland again - jet lag is working overtime.

Comments

Popular Posts