2012  DOCUMENTARY TRAVELS

On 7 November, I started my journey towards IDFA. First stop was a little r & r in Vancouver, a city and a country I have yet to visit.

The Air NZ flight was pretty smooth except for a prolonged period of turbulence of around 20 mins. I got three seats which was wonderful and managed to watch a few films. I was coming down with a cold and a cough so I was glad to be able to stretch out. The flight meal was somewhat light - it was good but it felt like it shrunk like the global economy.

Arrived in Vancouver and found myself in the immigration queue - there must have been about 600-700 tourists being served by 2 counters?! C'mon, doesn't take brain cells to work out that the first impression of tourists is immigration. So after 1.5 hours of waiting, I got through.

Took a train using the Canada Line and stopped off at Yaletown. I managed to walk 3.5 blocks to Quality Hotel False Creek. The people at the hotel are friendly and the room is big with a comfortable bed. Free wifi as well. However, its by the main road and there are a lot of construction going on.

Went for a walk to Granville Road and on the way, was surprised by the number of down and out and homeless, living rough on the streets. There was also a lot of dealing and shooting up on the streets. And all of this right next to the Downtown shopping precinct.

Trying to find a SIM card for my phone proved to be a nightmare - everywhere wanted a $ 35 activation fee for doing it at their shop. Then when you get online, they want a Canadian address and credit card. Hello?! Not very tourist friendly. I finally managed to find a way around this but not 2 days and loads of walking around. Only then to find out I left a SIM tray for my 2nd phone back in NZ. Oh well....

There aren't any supermarkets in the shopping area but loads of drug stores. Loads of Vietnamese fast food. 

I figured I might as well look at the Mexican taquerias and enjoy the Mexican food available. And the burritos are fab...

You can jump on and off a bus and train within one zone for $ 1.50 within a hour.

Prices are high and I think NZ prices are cheaper esp. with food and groceries.





Comments

Popular Posts